For many people, waking up just to end up standing in a cold shower on a not so warm morning is not the most ideal thing. In fact, it’s something that sends chills down one’s spine during the colder seasons and that cold shower could even make you sick.
Fortunately, thanks to technology this does not have to be the case. You can install a geyser, whereby all you need to do is turn on the switch and wait for a short time for your water to warm up, and then you can comfortably take your warm or steam bath.
If you’re new to the world of geysers, then you might wonder for a while which one is best to go for. Should you choose a gas geyser or will an electric one be best for you?
Well, for you to completely understand and make a decision, you first need to compare the strengths and weaknesses of both of them since they work differently.
- They both have their set of advantages and disadvantages when it comes to water heating.
- You also need to consider their lifespan, safety, efficiency, and overall performance.
- Gas geysers use the primary fuel directly making them more energy-efficient than electric geysers which use electricity instead.
- The electricity is generated by burning the primary fuel such as gas or coal. You are, therefore, going to save more energy with a gas geyser because of its installation but there is a lot more to consider.
Gas Geyser Vs. Electric Geyser
Here’s a table showing the differences between both of them.
|Feature||Electric Geysers||Gas Geysers|
|Pollution||Causes no pollution to the environment||May cause pollution due to the release of carbon monoxide|
|Overall cost and cost of heating||A bit expensive and you will spend more to heat one liter of water||More economical and you will generally spend less on heating a liter of water|
|Safety||They are very safe||They are extremely unsafe and you might want to stay away from them if safety is a major concern for you|
|Warranty||You get a 2-year warranty||You can get between a 1-2-year warranty|
|Time required for heating||Takes longer to heat water||They’re three times faster than electric geysers|
|The space they require||A wall mounting space will be enough for them||They need additional space to place the gas cylinder and for proper ventilation|
|Life span||They could last for between five to seven years||Their burners get damaged easily and frequently|
|Models||They are available as stored geyser and as an instant geyser||Only available as an instant geyser|
|Installation||Installing them is very easy||It is very difficult to install them as you need to connect their LPG and then arrange the fumes outlet|
The advantages of gas geysers include:
- They allow you to manually regulate the heating rate
- The heating is a stable process, therefore, no need to worry about any power wastage
- They do not need electricity so your electric bill will be lower and there will be no power failure
- They have better performance since they can heat up to fifty gallons of water in the same time
- They heat the water of the same quantity as electric geysers faster
- They’re best for big families
- They’re easy to repair
Some of the disadvantages include:
- They are not as safe as the other gases used for LPG making them highly inflammable
- They require proper ventilation otherwise they’ll pose a great risk to the user
- Have a short lifespan
- They release carbon monoxide which pollutes the environment
- Installation requires an expert
The advantages of electric geysers include:
- They can be installed in many different places
- They have a longer lifespan
- They are very user-friendly
- Use is fully automatic
- Fewer upfront costs
- Best when it comes to safety
- Does not pollute the environment since it works on electricity
Some of the disadvantages include:
- They can only run on electricity
- Water does not stay hot for too long, there is the loss of heat
- The cost of operation is higher
An electric geyser is best for the home especially because it provides safety as you can see from the advantages, compared to the gas geysers that are very unsafe despite being suitable for big families.
They also cause no pollution meaning they’re great for people who are concerned about their environmental footprint. Electric geysers also have fewer drawbacks compared to gas geysers, and these drawbacks can easily be avoided or their effects significantly reduced.
However, if finances are a concern for you then you could go for a gas geyser although you will need to observe a lot of caution when using it so that you do not place yourself and your family at risk. In any case, a gas geyser is notably great for larger families, and should it get damaged, fixing it is easier.
Is a gas geyser cheaper than an electric geyser?
As can be seen from the table above, a gas geyser is cheaper compared to an electric geyser when it comes to the overall price. It is also cheaper when looked at from the cost of heating perspective, whereby heating the same amount of water for both is cheaper with a gas geyser and costs more with an electric geyser.
Which type of geyser is best for a home?
The following are some great geysers you can use in your home
1. AO Smith HSE-VAS-X-025 Storage 25-Litre Vertical Water Heater
- 25-lite water capacity
- 7-year warranty on inner tank
- Box comes with 1 vertical storage water heater, mounting screws, and a user manual
- Glass-coated heating element
- Double protection
The AO Smith HSE-VAS-X-025 comes with an inner tank lined with a Blue Diamond coated glass that prevents corrosion while ensuring it remains durable. It ensures heat dissipation remains minimal. Its outer body is made of great quality metal. The heating element of this heater is glass-coated preventing it from forming scale. It, therefore, extends the life of the heating component.
This geyser is also very safe as it provides double protection with its thermal cut-out feature and the fact that it also has a multi-function safety valve. This geyser also facilitates power saving because of its advanced PUF technology. It is also a 5-star rated geyser according to BEE and is, therefore, environment friendly.
- Saves a lot of energy
- Handles up to 8 bars of pressure
- Double protection
- Resistant to corrosion
- It’s bulky
- Does not have pipes or other accessories
2. Racold LPG Gas Water Heater Geyser
- An instantaneous water heater that’s LPG supported
- Has a child lock
- Smart flow sensor
- 2-year warranty
- Powers 3000 watts
- 6-litre capacity
- Comes with an instruction manual and warranty booklet
The Racold LPG Gas Water Heater Geyser is a great one for domestic use. It comes with an auto-timer that always switches off after twenty minutes to ensure you save on electricity while you’re using it. It has a thermal coil that provides about 85% of the efficiency of heat together with the imported burners.
The geyser is safe because of the child lock feature that protects young children from accidents and offers even more advanced protection through its smart flow sensor. The geyser, therefore, only allows for ignition when there is water flow so it’s very safe.
It’s also very advanced as it allows you to choose from two modes depending on the season you’re in, either summer or winter. The heating efficiency of this geyser is 85% and has low gas consumption. This water geyser also has a special feature that allows you to get hot water even when the pressure of water is lower.
- Has a two-year warranty
- The geyser has low starting pressure which is suitable for use anywhere
- Might be a little noisy
As can be seen from this article, getting a geyser is highly advisable especially because it makes your water heating task a lot easier. There are so many brands available aside from the three recommended but remember when you’re out there trying to select one for use, check all the features keenly.
Look at the advantages and drawbacks so that you do not end up regretting that you bought the wrong one. With the information above, you should be better placed to choose the right geyser for your home use.
What are some famous exports from South India to the rest of the world? No, we are not talking about Sundar Pichai from Google. Or Bharatnatyam. We mean the ubiquitous dosa and idli, which is the...
The very essence of a sewing machine is akin to human life. Knot by knot a sewing machine turns a piece of clothing into an attire. Similarly, every day we live our lives to make it count so that at...