We all like to have an easy time when it comes to food preparation and the digestion process. As such, many choose to buy kitchen equipment that helps us achieve just that. Mixer grinders and food processors are some of the machines that help with food preparation.
So what is the difference between a food processor and a mixer grinder? A food processor is an appliance that easily chops, slices, grinds, or shreds food quickly. A mixer grinder on the other hand is a portable mill that does both mixing and grinding. When you grind your ingredients, it makes it easier to mix them.
In this article, we discuss the difference between a food processor and a mixer grinder, their different uses, and which one if the two is better to have.
Food Processor Vs Mixer Grinder
You might find yourself wondering which one of these two kitchen appliances is best. Well, they can both serve you well but it depends on your individual kitchen needs. To understand which one is better, here are some of the pros and cons of both:
Food Processor Pros
This kitchen appliance comes in different models whereby some can also be used in making juice both vegetable and citrus ones, kneading dough, beating some cake batter or egg whites, and grinding both vegetables and meat.
Recommended Food Processor on Amazon:
- Usha FP 3811 Food Processor
- Inalsa Food Processor INOX 1000
- Bosch Lifestyle MCM3501M 800-Watt Food Processor
- Philips Food Processor HL1661
- A food processor helps in preparing meals effortlessly as it dices, mashes, and shreds your ingredients for you. That means you can serve your meals on time as it does the processing much faster whether you are thinking of making a sauce, butter, or puree. It also makes it very easy for you to prepare meals for a large number of guests or family members.
- It saves you time. Without it, you would have to use a lot of time in chopping or cutting your ingredients and mixing them. Using a food processor, however, saves you time as it does this job within very few minutes. Once your food has undergone this processing, you will be able to cook it within a shorter period.
- A food processor is relatively safe. It is highly unlikely to hurt or cut yourself while using it. It also does not make a big mess during food preparation because you only need to add the ingredients into the tube and within a short time, they will be transformed into the form you prefer to have them in.
- It helps those who are under strict diets and a healthy lifestyle journey. That is because you can use it to quickly make salads and soups which come highly recommended for those people closely watching their calories. We often find ourselves eating foods that are processed industrially, which is unhealthy and unhygienic since preparing them at home takes up so much time. A food processer helps with this and in the process, you will end up saving a lot of money as you will not need to buy food outside often.
Food processor cons
- It takes up a lot of space
- It can be loud and irritating
- It requires a lot of time to clean
- It consumes more electricity than a mixer grinder
A Mixer Grinder Pros
A mixer grinder can also grate hard-shelled vegetables or fruits and can be used in making purees. It helps in the chopping and cutting of fruits and vegetables, making powder out of spices and many other functions in the kitchen.
Recommended Mixer Grinders on Amazon:
- Philips HL7756/00 Mixer Grinder
- Sujata Dynamix DX Mixer Grinder
- Butterfly Smart Mixer Grinder
- Bajaj GX-1 Mixer Grinder
- A mixer grinder can conduct a variety of food processes. It can help with grinding very tough ingredients such as black pepper, cardamom, nuts, and cloves. It can also make ice-cream and shakes. In case you like to make sausages and such snacks, it can grind the meat for you, you can use it for slicing and so much more.
- It can hold a variety of foods. With it, you can create milkshakes by whipping liquids while you grind nuts or meat with it at the same time. Its nature will allow you to prepare foods or meals with versatile ingredients.
- It provides more options such as different speeds. You can choose from slow stirring to stirring at high speed according to the drink or food you are making.
- Even though they have many options, operating a mixer grinder is very easy. They often come with many accessories and blades that work differently but very well. As a result, your food processing time is cut and you can finish preparing your meals faster.
- The maintenance of a mixer grinder is easy. You can clean and take care of it without professional help. Cleaning just requires you to use a soft fabric and detergent water. Wipe off the food particles and you can also remove the grinder from the motor apart and clean it even further.
Mixer Grinder Cons
- It is bound to overheat when used for long
- The rubber lid can get loose when used for a long period
- It isn’t as stable and requires you to hold the jar while you are grinding or while blending
- It’s hard to take out all the food you ground from the jar since the blades occupy a lot of space. You could hurt yourself in the process
Is a food processor the same as a grinder?
While both are helpful kitchen appliances when it comes to food processing, they are not the same. The two of them give a different final result after processing your food. Food processors are great for chopping, slicing, grating, and blending while mixer grinders are great for cutting, crushing, and mashing.
The end product from a mixer grinder will, therefore, be finer. Grinders, for example, are a good option if you would like to make spreads, patties, pastes, or would like to grind some grains while food processors are great for making stuffing or shredding some cheese.
There is also a difference when it comes to their design and overall technology. The biggest difference is in the setup of the blades and how finely they do the cutting to create the texture you want.
Look at it this way, a grinder has a chute to deposit food. A sharp screw will guide your food and lead it to several blades for cutting and pass it through a screen.
The grinder will also sort and filter your food. On the other hand, a food processor has a stationary blade, a rotating, or a pump-based one.
Those that have stationary ones need you to guide the food over the blade before it falls inside the main container for processing. Those with pump blades need you to lift the pump and press it. These blades are normally connected to a handle that can be found inside your processor lid and will have an upward and downward movement when you press.
Can you use a mixer instead of a food processor?
The two are different and you will achieve the best results if you stick to using them for what they are great at doing, therefore, you cannot use a mixture instead of a food processor.
Despite the fact that a mixer grinder is great for the preparation of a variety of foods and is also great for preparing different drinks, it is meant for a different end result from what a food processor gives.
Can I use a food processor as a spice grinder?
No, you cannot. That is because the standard blades found in food processors are thin and are meant for use in slicing the food. If you use it to grind hard spices, they will just end up bouncing in the bowl instead.
With this information, you should be able to decide on whether to go for a mixer grinder or a food processor. As you can see, they are both helpful but will give a different result.
So remember to make a choice based on your kitchen needs. Always look carefully at the pros and cons of each before you buy any of them.