Refrigerators are undoubtedly an integral part of many Indian households today. Save for the many benefits, technological advancements have brought more confusion than we anticipated and the modern refrigerators are no exemption. For instance, which refrigerator should you prioritize when shopping?
Is it the traditional direct cool refrigerator or the current frost free versions? Well, here are the clear-cut differences between these two appliances to help you make an informed decision regarding your shopping needs.
List of Top Frost Free Refrigerators
You can check the Latest Price on Amazon, by Clicking Below:
- LG 260 L 4-Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
- Whirlpool 340 L 3-Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
- Samsung 253 L Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
- Whirlpool 245 L Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
- Haier 247 L Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
It is worthwhile to begin by looking at the technologies used by these appliances before checking out how they compare. Let’s begin by looking at the direct cool refrigerators.
Features of Direct Cool Refrigerators
Direct cool refrigerators have been in existence for quite a long period. Now with direct refrigerators, refrigeration is as a result of the circulation of cool air which occurs naturally without any external aid. This makes it impossible to control the air circulation hence there will be an uneven distribution of temperature inside the refrigerator.
Consequently, you will experience the collection of frost in and around the freeze box that needs to be manually cleaned consistently. You need to press a knob or button to defrost the ice. For this reason, direct cool technology is currently limited to single door refrigerators.
So having looked at the features of direct cool refrigerators in addition to the technology involved, it is necessary to outline some of the pros and cons of these refrigerators. This can truly be important when you want to make the best decision regarding your shopping needs.
Also Check: Best Washing Machines in India
Advantages of Direct Cool Refrigerators
- Direct cool refrigerators consume less electricity compared to the frost-free versions
- They are good at keeping food products fresh
- They are ideal for small families of 2-3 members
- With direct cool refrigerators, their exterior parts never become hot as opposed to frost-free refrigerators that present this as a major disadvantage.
Disadvantages of Direct Cool Refrigerators
They may be so economical but direct cool refrigerators have their own cons you will have to put up with. That said, here are some of the disadvantages of these refrigerators.
- Manual defrosting is required to clean the refrigerators. This is never the case with the frost-free refrigerators.
- Their possible capacity is between 50 to 250 liters, making them only suitable for small families of between 2-3 individuals
- Direct cool technology is only available in single door refrigerators
Check Out: Best Steam Irons in India
Frost Free Refrigerators
From their name, it is clear that there is no ice or frost in these types of refrigerators. They instead use electric fans that ensure uniform air circulation within the refrigerator.
Simply put, the cooling coil in frost-free refrigerators is hidden and the electric fans are tasked with blowing the cold air into the compartments. This cooling principle is known as indirect or convection cooling. The name frost free on the other hand is derived from the fact that the food items are never in direct contact with the coils and the water is not frozen around the freezer compartment.
Additionally, the absence of ice means that there is no need to clean it consistently as it is the case with direct cool refrigerators. Frost-free refrigerators utilize an awesome technology that has indeed made the lives of many Indians very easy.
Also Check: Microwave vs OTG
Do frost-free refrigerators have any disadvantages? You might be wondering. Well, it is true that even the best have their own flaws and frost-free refrigerators are no exemption. These refrigerators have both pros and cons and let’s begin by looking at their good side.
Advantages of Frost Free Refrigerators
- With frost free refrigerators, cooling is done by the electric fans hence no cleaning is necessary. This is a clear contrast to direct cool refrigerators that require constant cleaning.
- This technology is available in the double door, triple door as well as side by side door refrigerators. Remember direct cool technology is only available in single door refrigerators.
- The possible refrigerator capacity is between 50 to 650 liters making them suitable for large and medium families.
- Frost free refrigerators are the best at maintaining the freshness of food items for a long period.
- These refrigerators have thermostats to monitor their temperatures.
However, on their downside, frost-free refrigerators present some limitations that you will have to tolerate when making your purchase. That being said, here are some of the disadvantages of these refrigerators.
- Consume more electricity as compared to the direct cool refrigerators
- They are costly because of the fans
The differences may be clear but again choosing the best refrigerator can still be challenging especially if you have a long list to pick from. That being said, here is the list of top five best refrigerators in India to simplify your work further by letting you know some of the highest quality refrigerators worth checking out in India.
Top 5 Best Refrigerators in India
1. LG 260 L 4-Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
A product from LG, this refrigerator has a 260-liter capacity and features a double door, giving you a separate freezer box.
Besides, this freezer also boasts the ice cream cooling facility in addition to having an automatic smart connect facility both of which are important for its optimum performance.
2. Whirlpool 340 L 3-Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
Well known for producing washing machines, Whirlpool also manufactures some of the best refrigerators in the market. Now, the aforementioned refrigerator is one such refrigerator from Whirlpool that boasts up to 340-liter capacity and is ideal for large families.
This refrigerator can keep your food fresh for a long time thanks to its flex vents. Besides, it also boasts a tower cooling facility to give you a deep freezer.
The Active Door facility on the hand ensures that your refrigerator remains just as fresh as it should be. With that being said, if you need the best refrigerator for keeping your fruits fresh for a long time then Whirlpool 340 L 3-Star refrigerator should be your top priority.
3. Samsung 253 L Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
Samsung is well known to provide a wide range of consumer electronics. Now, this is a 253-liter capacity refrigerator that is one of the best sellers in India.
It uses the Digital Inverter technology that lets its compressor to operate at varying speeds. This not only increases the lifespan of the compressor but also improves the cooling.
Besides, the recessed handle and hidden hinges give it an amazing look. With its drawer featuring great insulation, you can be sure to get uniform cooling within the refrigerator. As a top refrigerator, Samsung 253 L can also perform during high voltage fluctuations and this eliminates the necessity of buying a stabilizer,
4. Whirlpool 245 L Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
The top 5 list is completed by another one from Whirlpool. Now, this is a compact refrigerator that has a capacity of 245 liters. It has a fresh flow air tower that ensures the freshness of your products for a long period.
The vegetable crispier technology, on the other hand, ensures that your vegetables and fruits remain crispier.
And if you are fond of keeping heavy loads in your fridge then this could be your best bet because it has toughened glass shelves that never break easily. Interestingly, this refrigerator has a built-in stabilizer so it is better suited to work under high voltage fluctuations.
5. Haier 247 L Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
This a 247-liter capacity refrigerator that comes with the Haier technology. The mentioned technology ranks highly in the industry. With the Haier technology, this refrigerator takes as little as 1 hour to form ice cubes.
Additionally, this refrigerator features the cool pad facility that lets you maintain the chillness of your food for as long as 10 hours. Now the most interesting bit about this refrigerator is that it can withstand voltage fluctuations ranging from 135 to 290 volts. Besides, the 360-degree airflow ensures the uniform cooling of all the parts.
The vitamin C filter, on the other hand, helps to preserve your fruits and vegetables for up to 7 days without losing their freshness. The Haier 247 L refrigerator is a unique appliance in the sense that it has the child lock feature to keep it out of bounds for children when you are not around.
In summary, the contest might be over and it may be clear that Frost Free refrigerators are headed towards getting a huge victory. But again, it would be unfair to say that frost-free refrigerators are better than their arch-rivals based on the aforementioned paragraphs because every individual has their own preferences.
So the best option is to settle for what suits you best. However, the most important thing is to be among the many Indians already reaping the benefits of having the highest quality refrigerators at their dining. And when quality is mentioned, you already know what it means.